Matawan Aberdeen Recreation Volleyball League Information
We are currently sponsoring:
- Community and Us:
- We have proudly served the community for over twenty five years!
- The Matawan-Aberdeen Recreation Volleyball League is a non profit association.
The leagues are coordinated by a group of non paid
We are a community coed competitive league. Appropriately skilled
youth and adult players are welcome.
- Our home gym is at the Matawan Ave. Middle School, Cliffwood, NJ, located
in historic Monmouth County (see gym
- The league is active from September through June (see schedule). We
coordinate 3 seasons: 1) Fall-Winter beginning in September and ending
in December, 2) Winter-Spring beginning in January and ending in May, 3)
Pick Up play following the league season beginning in May and ending in
June when school lets out.
- A notice of the new
season and registration information typically appears on our web site
several weeks before the new season starts, players should monitor the site
regularly for information. There is a fee (dues) for
each season, which are used to cover our expenses.
- Open Court - Whether we hold open court or not depends on the
availability of facilities and interest. This is informal pick up play;
there are no tryouts, it is open to the volleyball community whether or not
they played in either the fall-winter or winter-spring league seasons. We
hold a new registration for each evening. Players pay for the evenings they
play (typically $5/evening to cover facility costs). We randomly assemble
and coordinate teams for a given evening and play. While the level of play
is intended to be competitive yet fun, this is an opportunity for players
who are trying to improve their level of play or for those who want to
socialize with players they might not otherwise play with. We do reserve the
right to restrict the number of players and who plays so that we can
maximize the play for everyone (for example. we try to minimize having
players rotating out).
- League Times (Typical - may be adjusted based upon other school events
that may impact us):
- OPEN COURT play is on Tuesday evenings, 8:15-10:30 PM.
- Intermediate League (B2) play is on Thursday evening 8:00-10:30 PM.
- Level of Play:
Intermediate/"B2" Level = players who
have experienced intermediate power play in USAV B events (or higher),
or who have community club or school (high school JV/Varsity team, college club)
playing a 4-2, 5-1, or 6-2
- League Format:
- We intend our league events to be a six's league. We expect six players per team on
- We follow the
accepted rotation/substitution/playing rules of the
USA Volleyball Indoor Domestic Competition Regulations; exceptions to the USA
Volleyball Indoor Domestic Competition Regulations
are noted in our "House Rules":
- The USA Volleyball rules are the primary source of information and should
be followed if an inappropriate conflict is found to exist between our "House
Rules" and the USA Volleyball rule book.
- We do not enforce the uniform regulations
- We expect players to commit to playing at least 70% of the season (I.E..
in 7 of 10
weeks). Please do not sign up if you cannot commit to this.
- Liability Release and Code of Conduct:
- All players must agree to both the liability release and the code of conduct
to participate (see links to each
on main page).
Youth players under the age of 18 who make the league must have parental permission.
- We expect all players to understand the code of conduct and to behave
accordingly. There is zero tolerance for violence and acts that endanger
- League Capacity (number of players/teams):
- We anticipate up to six "B2" teams with a minimum
of six players (typically eight) per team. Rarely, we have had 7 teams in a
league if, the demand is warranted and the level of play can be
- In general, the number of teams, the number of players per team, and hence
the total number of players in each league is decided at the coordination
meeting held after the league organizing/tryout evening and depends on the
number and skill level of the players in the candidate pool. We adjust the number of
teams/players to achieve the highest potential level of play and also to allow
the greatest participation possible.
- We reserve the right to review and modify teams during the season,
we can maintain attendance and the level of play
- Although this is intended as a coed league, teams are not required to have
a female player on the roster or on the court
- INDIVIDUAL Player Registration:
All new candidates desiring to play "B2", must register and
participate in our organizing/tryout evening.
TRYOUTS are held at the
Matawan Ave Middle School, space is limited, see the SCHEDULE for dates/times.
We do not automatically "grandfather"
players. We do however try to accommodate returning players whenever
possible. Given that space is limited, former players must recognize
that there are no guaranteed spots. We try to select and place on teams the
most talented and skillful players in the pool, to achieve the best possible
play. For the most part, try outs are to evaluate new players or players
whom we are not very familiar with.
- We do not consider or place players we do not know who register but, do
not participate in the tryout.
Players are selected and placed on teams at a league meeting of
the volunteers, held immediately after the organizing/tryout event. The
selection method is by a consensus of the volunteer
selection committee and is based upon a player's skill level and athleticism. The selection committee's goal is to achieve the highest
level of play in each league and parity across the teams. A candidate's selection
to the league is predominantly determined by his/her demonstrated skill level
at the tryout and/or knowledge of the player from previous seasons.
Youth players under the age of 18 who make the league must have parental permission (see link to
insurance/code of conduct form on main page - print/fill out page 3).
welcome to try out as individual entries. Please note that
each partner is individually evaluated and selected based upon skill. We
cannot guarantee that
both partners will be selected and placed into the same league/team or any league/team for that
- We will try to accommodate special cases if attending the "B2"
tryout is not possible, please speak with a volunteer.
All players on a team (including substitutes) must read, understand,
agree to, and comply with the code of conduct.
- We expect all players to read, understand, know and follow the house rules
- TEAM Registration:
- We allow players to organize and submit teams for "B2"
but we do reserve the right to accept or deny a team entry.
- B2 is typically individual registration. Occasionally there are times
when circumstances allow us to accept a team. No guarantees. Contact a B2
Volunteer to discuss.
- New Teams must participate in the tryout.
- We reserve the right to review and modify submitted teams, to determine
(among other things):
- that the submitted team is consistent with the league level of play.
- to add players of appropriate skill to fill out rosters during the
season so we can maintain attendance and the level of play
complete the team
registration form and submit to the volunteers. The form can be found by clicking on the link:
- Team forms should be submitted to the volunteers prior to tryouts
- All individuals submitting as a team should also register
using the registration link found on our main page.
All players on a team (including substitutes) must register; read, understand,
agree to, and comply with the code of conduct and the liability release.
We expect all players to read, understand, know and follow the house
- Membership Dues:
- Individual participants are required to pay projected membership dues of
about ** $60/person ** to the team captain on the first night of play
(cash or check accepted).
- Team Submission (if applicable) - Captains are required to pay a team dues of **$420/team** to the
club treasurer or a volunteer on the first night of play (cash or check
Dues are collected and used to defray expenses like the cost of gym
space, equipment, and insurance. Volunteers are NOT salaried.
- Players/teams may not be allowed to play if dues are not current. See a
volunteer for issues.
** dues are subject to change or adjustments that result from changes in
our expenses and/or the
fluctuation in the number of participants.
For additional information or
if you have a unique situation, please contact: us by Email at